How Can Essential Oils Improve Athletic Performance?
The following tips are from athletes who use natural aromatic compounds for pre and post events. Check out these natural solutions for stability and endurance.
- Runners have had luck with rubbing down large muscles with Peppermint, Marjoram and/or Deep Blue® before races.
- An Aromatouch® technique before and/or after a meet can be helpful for large muscles. Include legs in the Aromatouch technique.
- Peppermint oil and Deep Blue oil blend can be helpful before and after physical exertion. Use Peppermint oil on large muscles before long runs. Use AromaTouch or Deep Blue after.
- Place 4 drops of lemon essential oil in 16 ounces of water and drink. Apply lemongrass essential oil to calves. Drink lots of water and rest.
- For leg cramps use 3-4 drops of Deep Blue and 1-2 drops of Helichrysum directly on the affected part of the calf. Also try Aromatouch and Deep Blue, or Lemongrass essential oils.*
- To relieve pressure and tension use AromaTouch blend on your back and shoulders.
- For runners: reduce joint impact by using Deep Blue then Peppermint essential oils. Also try Helichrysum and Frankincense essential oils.*
- For sore muscles after a run use Deep Blue and Aromatouch or White Fir. Also try Wintergreen and Frankincense essential oils or use together.
- Some runners like to use Peppermint essential oil to improve breathing. Apply 4-5 drops to the chest to open airways and increase oxygen flow.* Do this 5 minutes before exercise or event.
- Some athletes use Balance Essential oil for improved clarity and focus.
USES OF BALANCE ESSENTIAL OIL BLEND:
Physical soreness after exercise – mix Balance 4 drops, Basil 3 drops, White Fir 2 drops, Lavender 3 drops and apply for quick relief. Prior to exertion apply Balance to the low back and back of neck so that Energy flow is clear and focused on the sport – for swimming apply 15 minutes prior to jumping into the water to be effective.*
USES OF BASIL:
Before you exercise for muscle tone: Basil 4 drops, Cypress 3 drops, Rosemary 3 drops, Lavender 3 drops, coconut oil 8 drops; combine in bottle, gently shake and apply to muscles prior to exercise to enhance muscle tone and minimize soreness.*
USES OF ON GUARD® BLEND:
On Guard is often used by athletes for its many benefits. Use On Guard to cleanse gym/workout equipment. Just add On Guard to spray bottle and spray down equipment.
USES OF PEPPERMINT:
Energy and Mood Enhancement: Inhale Peppermint oil before and during a workout to boost your mood and increase energy.*
USES OF MARJORAM:
Marjoram may be relaxing and calming to the muscles. Apply to muscles before and after exercising.*
- After-Sports Bath: Lavender 3 drops, Roman Chamomile 2, drops Marjoram 2 drops, Helichrysum 1 drop.
- Soothe Muscles:
- Option 1: Coconut oil 1 teaspoon, Marjoram 3 drops, Lavender 4 drops, Thyme 4 drops, Peppermint 4 drops; gently mix blend and apply to sore areas.
- Option 2: Coconut Oil 1 tablespoon, Marjoram 4 drops, Geranium 5 drops, Frankincense 3 drops, Clove 2 drops, Peppermint 4 drops.
- Post-Workout Rub: Coconut Oil 1 ounce, Marjoram Oil 3 drops, Thyme Oil 2 drops, Roman Chamomile 4 drops, Lemon oil 3 drops, Cypress oil 4 drops, Peppermint oil 2 drops. Mix gently and massage the mixture into your muscles and joints to prevent stiffness and enhance training.*
USES OF LEMONGRASS:
Combine with carrier oil and massage after a hard workout.
Massage blend for sore and tight muscles: Lemongrass 3 drops, Basil 4 drops, Clary Sage 5 drops, Fractionated Coconut Oil 8 drops, apply upward motion toward torso; Wait 10 minutes and then if need to reapply.*
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.